We all want to look our best for photos, but a makeup artist pampering you might not always an option, so I asked my friend and makeup artist Kayla Jones from Tru Salon in Iowa City to share her top 5 tips to look photo ready!
1. Prime Your Skin – When you are preparing yourself to be in photos, applying a primer before makeup is vital. It reflects light, creating the illusion of invisible pores and smooth skin. It also ensures your makeup will last through a hot summer day!
2. Conceal – The light that is necessary for great photos also brings to light any blemish we have! Try dabbing on a light-diffusing concealer in a hue that matches your skin tone. This will help diminish blemishes, under-eye circles and dark spots.
3. Contour Cheekbones – Use a matte bronzer under the cheekbones to create a sculpted look. Finish off with a soft blush on the apples of the cheeks!
4. Highlight Your Eyes – This is the time to add a little more eye makeup than usual. Lashes have a tendency to get lost on camera, so make sure to use a dark mascara. Adding eyeliner that slightly thickens as you reach the outer edge of your lid will help lift your eyes.
5. Finish and Set – Powder your forehead and nose to avoid looking extra-shiny in your photos! You can even carry blotter sheets with you, or a small compact of powder.